THE REPUBLIC OF TAJIKISTAN
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL PROTECTION OF THE POPULATION
Maternal and Child Health Integrated Care Project (G0627-TAJ)
HEALTH CARE FINANCING SPECIALIST NATIONAL
Terms of Reference
HEALTH CARE FINANCING SPECIALIST
Package Name and Number:
CS-07-02 Health Care Financing Specialist
59 intermittent person-months
Location of Assignment:
The Republic of Tajikistan received a grant from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for the implementation of the Maternal and Child Health Integrated Care Project in Tajikistan. The Maternal and Child Health Integrated Care Project will help address key issues affecting Tajikistan’s health sector, such as inadequate funding, outdated infrastructure and health facilities, as well as lack of qualified medical professionals and healthcare providers, especially in rural areas.
Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Population of the Republic of Tajikistan (MOHSPP) is the Executing Agency (EA) of the Project. Project Administration Group (PAG) is established for implementation of the project. The role of the PAG is to manage day to day implementation of project activities including operational and budget planning, recruitment and deployment of national and international Consultants, procurement of works (construction and rehabilitation of health care facilities) and goods (medical and non-medical equipment), monitoring and evaluation of project progress, analysis of issues to identify need for action, and reporting to the Project Director and MOHSPP.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The objective of this consultancy is to support the MOHSPP and MOF in the development / improvement of the case-based financing methodology to ensure budget calculation and financing effectiveness of the integrated MCH health system and pilot the case-based financing mechanism at project district hospital(s). The consultant is expected to work closely with the Health Financing Intersectoral Expert Group (IEG) and the World Health Organization (WHO) who are leading the support on the national health financing strategy. The consultant will report directly to the International Consultant (Lead Health Care Financing Specialist) and the PAG manager.
The consultant will perform the following tasks in close coordination with the Lead Health Care Financing Specialist and key stakeholders:
- Facilitate introduction of the virtual budget formation and execution at the hospital level within case-based financing in pilot districts
- Provide necessary information and documents on budget formation at the hospital level including salary calculation and special regulations in calculation of hospital staff wages;
- Collect data based on forms prepared by International Consultant, collect, analyze, and evaluate data and send results to International Consultant
- Participate in every stage of development of the information system to track case-based financing and financing of referral services
- Participate in the testing of the information system, verify input of financial data, automatic calculations, financial parts of reporting forms
- Provide guidance and technical support during all phases of the case-based financing pilot
- Regularly monitor implementation of the case-based financing system
- Conduct visits to pilot districts and ensure quality of data provided in the forms
- Support International Consultant and if necessary to present results to the MOHSPP, MoF, Local Governments, Partners, etc.
- Coaching and on-job support to the hospital staff in application of case-based financing principle, regulations, data transition, among others.
The consultant will submit a quarterly report to PAG and ADB providing details of inputs to Lead Health Care Financing Specialist. All reports are to be submitted as follows: 2 copies to EA/PAG and 1 copy to ADB. All reports are also to be submitted electronically, as email attachments in pdf format to all concerned persons. All reports shall be issued in English and Russian or Tajik.
- The Consultant shall work directly with related units of the IEG, MOHSPP, Health providers and development partners in close interaction with relevant staff of the Project Administration Group (hereinafter – the PAG) and consultants working on the MCH referral system development.
- The Consultant shall be accountable directly to the PAG Manager.
- Produced reports shall contain information on progress achieved, findings identified, and recommendations on improving the processes with specification of sources of materials. Reports on results of Consultant’s work shall be agreed with officials in charge appointed by the MOHSPP). The timeframe for reconciliation of reports commented by the Client is 15 working days.
- Design and implementation plan of the case-based financing system should be mutually agreed by the MOHSPP and MOF
- QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Advanced (university) degree in Finance and Economics or similar field
At least 10 years of professional experience in management / health economy / health care financing
Basic knowledge of health budget planning and health financing
Knowledge in medical services cost construction and price calculation methods
Experience in developing analytical studies/ reports, and in data collection
Experience in data analysis, modeling and budget calculations
Communication skills and ability to work in a team
Knowledge and skills in working with standard software applications
Experience in per capita financing
Experience in conducting trainings related to finance and budgeting for at least 3 years
National Specialist language proficiency
- Language skills: Russian, Tajik, knowledge of English is desirable
- CLIENT’S INPUT
Client will provide the following inputs, project data and reports to facilitate preparation of the Proposals:
- Project Administration Manual
- Infrastructure Development Program prepared by TRTA
- Technical Assistance Feasibility Study
- RRP and all linked documents
Detailed information is provided in Terms of Reference which can be accesses through the following link:
MOHSPP invites eligible candidates to submit their application to provide the abovementioned services.
Interested individuals shall submit their application in English and/or Russian languages online in a special electronic format accessible through the following link:
Only successful candidates will be invited to interview. If necessary, PAG reserves the right to re-announce a vacancy or cancel the recruitment
The deadline for submitting documents is April 19, 2020 (until 10:00 local time).
For additional information, interested individuals may contact us:
Project Administration Group
Maternal and Child Health Integrated Care Project in Tajikistan
734025, Dushanbe, Shevchenko str. 61