(Devoted to the International Forum on Recovery and Rehabilitation of Disabled)
During the first six months of this year, scientists and specialists of the State institution ‘Research Institute of medical and social expertise and rehabilitation of disabled’ were engaged in the study of socially significant diseases, rehabilitation of patients and disabled people, prevention and reduction of disability, as well as provided medical-social services and rehabilitation to the disabled, sick and needy.
It should be noted that this year the Director of the State institution ‘Research Institute of medical and social expertise and rehabilitation of disabled people’ Murodali Ruziev and PhD of the Institute M. Khojaev successfully defended their doctoral thesis in the branch research institutes of the Russian Federation.
We had a talk with the Director of the institution Murodali Ruziev regarding this institute’s activity:
– First of all, can you say that during the first six months of this year, the institute, which you are managing, made for the rehabilitation of disabled people?
– Besides the fact that the Institute is a scientific institution, it also has an outpatient and clinical departments that provide medical services to those in need, including disabled of groups II and III, children with disabilities, the elderly, and the poor. In the first six months of the current year, more than 1,300 people were provided with services in the outpatient clinic and over 800 people in the clinic.
Institution’s clinical part has a therapeutic gym, rooms of massage and herbal treatments, a speech therapist specialist’s room, a clinical laboratory, various types of rehabilitation apparatus, which are used free of charge by patients and those in need of the above-mentioned groups of the population.
If we look at the statistics of the institution’s clinical part, we can see that in the reporting period, 94.5% of the total number of outpatients were associated with nervous disorders. At the same time, more than 83.5% of visited outpatients are children. Also, more than half (55.1%) of hospitalized patients of the clinic are residents of rural areas, and the rest are urban residents. Almost a third (29 percent) of those hospitalized are children. Along with hospitalization and according to the direction of KATS institutions, a certain number of disabled visit the institute annually for a medical and social examination. During this period, 80 people applied for a medical examination for the first time.
– What measures were taken by Institute in the field of skills development of professional development?
– First of all, I would like to note that, on the basis of the Joint License of the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Population and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan, the Institute is authorized to organize and conduct training courses on ‘Medical and Social Expertise’ for both doctors and medical staff, as well as on ‘Social work’.
In order to strengthen the potential of medical and social institutions, in the academic years 2018-2019, 102 people have undergone skills development at 7 training courses within the program ‘Medical and Social Expertise and Rehabilitation of Disabled’ (for doctors), and 49 people were trained in 4 courses within the program ‘Social work’ (for medical and social personnel).
In accordance with the approved plan, a scientific and practical seminar ‘A modern approach to the medical and social examination of disabled’ was held for more than 45 people at the beginning of June 2019 in Khujand.
As for the training of field’s specialists, it should be noted that this year two doctoral students prepared their dissertations and defended them at research institutes of the Russian Federation. Currently, one doctoral student and three graduate students continue their research activities in the institution in accordance with their work plan.
It should be noted that taking into account current trends in the training of scientific personnel in the country, the institute expanded the work on introducing a new doctoral system in the country, in particular PhD, the resource-educational sector and graduate school.
– Dear Murodali Ruziev, could you tell our readers about activities in the field of medical and social monitoring of disabled?!
– Everyone knows that, by the Governmental Decree of Tajikistan dated October 28, 2016 No. 455, the National Program for the Rehabilitation of Disabled for 2017–2020 was adopted, and it has a plan for the implementation of its activities, and of course monitoring of the implementation of measures is an integral part of this program. Specialists of the institute are also involved in this direction.
For example, this year, our specialists, together with representatives of the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Population, as well as the Committee for Architecture and Construction under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, were involved in monitoring the accessibility of disabled to constructing buildings and facilities in the districts of republican subordination, cities of Norak, Kulob and Bokhtar of Khatlon region, as a result, they provided the owners and construction companies with the necessary proposals to expand the access of disabled to buildings, facilities and public infrastructure.
– As you know, an International Forum on Recovery and Rehabilitation of Disabled will be held in October this year, in the country. What do you expect from this forum…
– Analysis shows that some of the specific activities of the National Program for the Rehabilitation of Disabled were not implemented due to lack of financial resources, and we may not be able to complete them without the financial support of international institutions.
The organization and convening of the International Forum on Recovery and Rehabilitation of Disabled provides an opportunity, first of all, for development partners to closely familiarize themselves with the achievements of the region, its problems in the area of rehabilitation, prevention of disability, rehabilitation of disabled and their social protection, which are one of the directions of the state social policy, and introduce its contribution to the implementation of the provisions of the above programs.
Therefore, we also hope that the results of the International Forum will give a powerful impetus to the implementation of program activities.
Thank you for the interview!